Tuesday, June 1, 2010

An Overactive Imagination?

I am constantly seeing fandom references in inappropriate places. In fact, just about everywhere.

Sometimes I'll see a shop sign or a car registration plate that triggers my geek and makes me smile to myself... it's been happening an awful lot more since I moved to London; purely on merit of there being a greater number of shops and everything not being called Paddy's [insert function of establishment here] (I may be exaggerating slightly...).

These are just a few references I scooped together from memory.




Starbucks is a little hilariously obvious, I will grant you, but I hadn't seen it often enough before I moved here to prevent it reminding me of BSG.




The internet provided this one, so I'm afraid I have no idea where it is, but I would definitely eat anything prepared by the president of the Twelve Colonies! Even if she is associated with The Evil League of Evil Coca Cola apparently.



This is a chain of stores in the UK that sells outdoor equipment and both the name and the appropriateness of that make me squee every time. I genuinely don't know whether it's a family name of some kind or whether thse guys are the most awesome company in the world...



This isn't actually out of context, as it's a gaming shop, but it's still awesome. On Earlham Street in Covent Garden.



Not sure if this is just a UK product but it gets me every time!



REALLLLY obscure character reference to George R.R Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series...



Legendary in the X-Files fandom, this apparently occured in Ottawa, Canada when someone got bored with naming things 5th Street etc... (Sarah, I've stolen your photo; thank you!)

So! What's in your area that has a geeky name/reference? Or anywhere that you've seen???

2 comments:

  1. Aww, John Snow. LOVE!

    Starbucks gets me too. And I know there have to be more that my brain is not computing. Hmm... I shall ponder upon it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. *dies of squee* Jon Snow is my favorite character in the books! I heart him like nuts! I only just finished reading the second one this morning and have now started the third! The books are so fantastic! I'm afraid to finish the 4th one though not knowing when the 5th will be out...

    Anyways, maybe it's just me, but on campus here there is a dorm called "Elrod Hall" and EVERYTIME I see (which when school is in session is about 4 times daily!) I always read "Elrond Hall". It is my plan to one day sneak an 'n' in there and put a picture of Elrond next to it. I just need to find some geeky friends to be my accomplices! =D

    ReplyDelete