Monday, May 31, 2010

Guillermo Del Toro no longer to direct The Hobbit


This was the news that greeted me when I woke this morning.

Now comes to the fore just how much Tolkien means to me, because when I say that this has completely offset my entire day, I honestly mean it.

Peter Jackson's LotR trilogy was and remains the most perfect thing that has ever happened in any of my fandoms. Never could I have imagined so faithful an adaptation and for three years (I was in high school, so I had the free time!) I ate, slept and breathed Middle Earth as a result.

I had always adored the books, but here was Tolkien's world; more vivid and more tangible than ever it was in my imagination.

When The Hobbit was announced, I was excited but almost immediately incredibly nervous. Yes, Peter Jackson, Fran Walsh and Philippa Boyens were writing it, yes it was going to be made in NZ and handled by WETA, yes it was going to be two movies... wait, what? Two separate movies. Neither of which would be directed by PJ. There we go; fangirl nausea.

Now I've read and re-read The Hobbit since I was about 7 and there are not two movies in that book. So, ok, they were going to bridge The Hobbit and LotR with some material from the histories of Middle Earth... the jury was still out on that one. I have a level of trust when it comes to Peter and Fran, so I talked myself off the tallest ledge of Minas Morgul and reasoned that life in the LotR fandom was still worth living.

Then came the news that Del Toro was going to direct. It took a long time to sink in, but since PJ ultimately wasn't going to direct, I actually felt that Del Toro was the best possible choice, and obviously everyone creatively involved in the project thought so too. Thus the dust settled and casting rumours could begin to fly happily as everyone settled down to write what I can only imagine is a beast of a script. Of course, the MGM Rights Ownership Battle of Fail™ also raged on. And on. And on some more.

So now, here we are with a 3 year project turned 6 year endurance test; no definable end in sight and now no director. I weep.

I want to say that I'm glad The Professor isn't alive to see this, but actually the whole rights problem would be a non-issue if he was... also I could invite him over for tea!

Do I think PJ will step into the breach? No. Would I die before I see Sam Raimi direct these movies? Well... *starts climbing up Minas Morgul again*

All I want is to see mountains again (mountains, Gandalf!); to walk through the Shire, to meet Beorn, to finally see Mirkwood and a glorious Weta Smaug... *wistful sigh* The Hobbit was the most cherished book of my entire childhood; it was my world. I would rather never see it on the silver screen than see it flung through hoops for the studios until it is unrecognisable. PJ won't let that happen... but the more this project drags on and the more wearied everyone becomes by the process, the more I fear for it.

There is also the growing possibility that I'll be long dead before it is even made!

What do you all think? What does this mean for you as a fan, or just a viewer? Who do you think is likely to direct?

1 comment:

  1. Maybe Peter Jackson will just decide to do it... hopefully!

    ReplyDelete