Thursday, September 23, 2010

Why I'm excited about... Super 8!

Since it's now officially part of my job to know what the frak is going on in the movie world, I spend a pleasant slice of my work day reading movie blogs. I've always been pretty good at keeping up with them in my spare time, but being so immersed in the current news has reminded me how completely stoked I am about several movie projects in production right now! This week's squee; Super 8!

But you HATE J.J Abrams!!!?
Rumours of my rage have been greatly exaggerated!! However, I've never quite seen eye to eye with J.J Abrams... BUT - I have never dismissed any of his films out of hand. I really wanted to see Cloverfield... I was genuinely looking forward to Star Trek... Anyhow; I digress. While we've had our differences in the past, I appreciate that the man has some fantastic ideas, and when I saw the other names attached to this project, well, I was pretty much sold in 2 words; Steven frakking Spielberg!!!

It's all down to the math...
There are a lot of equations that are vital to making a movie successful and enjoyable - a high percentage of them involve stressed accountants peering at spreadsheets - but the one that is guaranteed to = win no matter what else you throw in the mix is Steven Spielberg + aliens. I don't need to rattle on about E.T and Close Encounters... this guy knows his extraterrestrial shizzle and that's that. Spielberg's name gets slapped next to Executive Producer so much these days that one has to wonder exactly how involved he gets in the project - but I like to think that he won't be able to resist lending his awesomely spooky air to this one.

Aliens, you say?
So, what do we know about Super 8? Not a lot, is the short answer! Principal photography began earlier this week in West Virginia and Hitflix have a handy list of 10 things we currently know about Super 8. There is an official website, but it's typically cryptic at the moment.

However, there is a helpful and informative completely bitchin trailer!



The gist; Area 51, aliens, trains, AWESOME.

No comments:

Post a Comment