Tuesday, October 5, 2010

The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King with London Philharmonic Orchestra

Last week, just about the best thing that can happen to a fangirl (aside from maybe getting invited to dinner at Skywalker Ranch - still on my to=do list!) happened to me! A message popped up on the Lord of the Rings Livejournal community offering a single ticket to the sold-out screening of LotR:RotK at the Royal Albert Hall with the score performed live by the London Philharmonic Orchestra.


My seat was amazing. The Lord of the Rings has been such a massive part of my life for so long that it was just so incredible to be there, listening to the orchestra that had actually recorded the original score for the movies. Howard Shore is a genius - the music is so stirring and powerful that by the time the Rohirrim arrived at the Battle of the Pelennor Fields I was totally prepared to stand up and punch the air and yell when they charged into the fray.

Not only did they have the complete orchestra and a full choir, but during the applause a vaguely familiar face came to take a bow with the conductor. I can't say that I had ever really contemplated how I would feel about seeing Howard Shore before that moment, but the answer is thrilled. He made the music that was the backdrop to my life for so many years.


But I digress... if you can ever go and see a movie, any movie, with an accompanying orchestra - do it! The Royal Albert Hall have done all three LotR movies now, but given the astounding success that they appear to have been, I have no doubt that they will do this or something similar again in the future.

Star Wars in Concert don't have any tour dates listed at the moment, but keep checking the site.

The Proms did a Dr. Who night this year, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment