Saturday, October 2, 2010

Popcorn Bowl 10/2

The Hobbit Union Debacle:
7 unions instructed their members not to work on The Hobbit, claiming that the production refused to negotiate with actors on union contracts. Peter Jackson, being justifiably both hurt and frustrated, responded with remarkable clarity. Both the studios (obviously) and the New Zealand government backed Jackson's stance. Actors seem to be in support of the unions, but it's difficult to tell how much of this whole thing is political. I agree that NZ actors should have working conditions equal to those in the UK and US, but I also believe that if this issue chases The Hobbit production out of NZ, it will spell doom for the country's ability to attract big budget productions. Peter Jackson has done so much for the NZ film industry - I don't think he is out to actively disenfranchise the country or its actors.

Things in 3D:
So, if you haven't heard about this then welcome back - how was your holiday under a rock on Mars?
Star Wars is coming to theatres in 3D! Starting with The Phantom Menace in 2012... I am, at best, meh about the 3D bandwagon... but if they're properly rendered then I'm not going to say no to getting to see the saga on the silver screen!
In worse news - The Hobbit is going to be in 3D. I am 85 different kinds of pissed off. The Hobbit is an intimate little story and I did not want this.

The teaser trailer for I Am Number Four went online this week. This was released as a book a few weeks ago, but I read an early proof in June. I'm less than confident about the casting, but everything that made this a rubbish book makes it a strong script, so I will be interested to see this movie when it comes out. If you like kids that are aliens, being a teenager and buildings occasionally and unexpectedly being demolished; this is the movie for you!

I know how much you love casting rumours - the list for the female lead in the Spider-Man reboot is growing impressively.

Sherlock Holmes 2 has added Stephen Fry as Mycroft Holmes (Sherlock's brother) and Mad Men's Jared Harris as Moriarty.

Darren Aronofsky is reportedly in the running to direct the Superman reboot. I'm not sure I can visualise that, but colour me intrigued!


Comic-Con to stay in San Diego for at least the next 5 years! I intend to be at it for at least one of them!


Now if you haven't booked a ticket to go and see one of the 25th anniversary screenings of Back to the Future, then why the hell are you still reading this? Go!

1 comment: