Sunday, October 3, 2010

Why I'm excited about... Sucker Punch!


Sucker Punch (March 2011) is the latest offering from Zack Snyder - and the only feathers in sight this time are those on the fans of the burlesque dancers.

Opening in the 1950's, the movie has Babydoll (Emily Browning) imprisoned in a mental institution by her stepfather and due to be lobotomised in five days. Retreating into her own mind to escape, Babydoll finds herself in an alternate world in which she must plan her escape by stealing five objects. From what I can make out; Sucker Punch has several layers of 'reality' - the real world, Babydoll's alternate reality, and another dream world within that reality. Reminding you of anything?

What's so special?
Bordello, World War I, samurai, dieselpunk, machine guns, katanas - Sucker Punch goes in every direction at once. It's highly stylised, high action that will most likely kick you five ways to Sunday.

With an almost exclusively female cast, Snyder himself has joked about about doing the opposite of 300 with this movie. To be honest, I think they're not all that dissimilar; Sucker Punch looks like every man's wet dream - bestockinged women wielding machine guns. Robots. Dragons. Swordfights. It ticks practically every box except zombies. Oh wait - they're in there too! Not that I'm complaining about any of this, mind...

It could easily go the way of The Spirit - but Sucker Punch has been generating a lot of excitement online and I think that that alone will earn it a strong opening weekend. What it may eventually lack in coherent plot, it will potentially make up for in style and (yes, I am going to say it) scantily clad women.

Pretty, pretty, pretty tiems...
On a basic level - this movie is GORGEOUS. I've seen a lot of artwork and stills from the production and it looks stunning. The costumes and set pieces are absolutely first rate - I was genuinely surprised that Weta weren't involved! All credit to Quantum Creation FX - even though I had never heard of them before!

If you like...
Well, I am reliably informed that this move even has a kitchen sink in it, so my advice would be that if you can handle style over story (although this may not end up being the case) in any way, then this is worth a view. Even at his very worst, Snyder delivers stunning visuals and I have no reason to believe that Sucker Punch won't be worth the price of a theater ticket.

Trailer with more frak me visuals here.

The six character posters (which some of you will have seen at SDCC) are available here.

No comments:

Post a Comment