Friday, May 14, 2010

Phoenix Copper Art

It was my very first (sort of) convention. 2007. I had flown to London straight after an exam, and was generally a little confused, stressed and tired. Having roamed the convention hall for several weary laps, Will's stall caught my eye not just because of the stunning array of his work on display, but because it provided a corner in which it looked like I might not be buffeted by any Daleks for a few minutes.

It turned out to be one of the best things I have ever found while hiding from Dr. Who villains!

Will's work is incredibly unique - as far as I am aware there isn't anyone else doing sci-fi related copper art. His work covers almost any show and fandom you can shake a wizard's staff at - from Lord of the Rings to Firefly - and he has made some absolutely amazing pieces. I only wish I had enough photographs to do them justice.

My first purchase from Phoenix Copper Art was an A5 Princess Mononoke journal - each journal has a copper plate cover with a unique design, leather binding and the pages detailed with further images from the relevant fandom. Mine, for example, had the tree spirits inside; which made me squee to no end. Will can supply refill pages, so you can keep on using your favourite journal cover forever!

Will also makes journals on request - although this can take some time as he is very busy - and is very happy to discuss any design ideas you might have. He's not just a fantastic artist but great fun to chat to. I always look out for him at cons and know where to retreat to when I need a break from wandering in circles and perhaps a therapeutic Twilight rant.

The website doesn't even touch on the range of designs available - I highly recommend looking out for Phoenix Copper Art if you are planning to attend any cons in the UK (Will lists the events he plans to attend on the website) or getting in touch if you're looking for the perfect gift for that geek in your life - or you just want to spoil yourself!

No comments:

Post a Comment