Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Sci-Fi Underwear: The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

So... sci-fi underwear. Not the topic of many in-depth discussions about the nature of science fiction and the portrayal of women, but one that I feel does deserve to be highlighted.

Many of these shows/movies are really just victims of their time, but since I mainly watch sci-fi and it is a genre in which people frequently seem to get semi-naked so they can be hunted by aliens/serial killers with supernatural ability/have their partner check them for mosquito bites, it does seem an obvious choice to dissect.

Since the number of Google image searches I have done for "actor or character name underwear" is probably above average, I expect I am on some kind of government watchlist now.

I would like to highlight at this point that this is not the time or place I have chosen to discuss the objectification of women in the media; that is a far more complex topic than this flippant post merits. My point here has nothing to do with the fact that it is most frequently women who are stripped down for our 'viewing pleasure' (which is something I definitely plan to discuss in the future) but the fact that people used to consent to wear this stuff on television!!!

Exhibit A: Sigourney Weaver as Ripley in Alien

How it is even possible to give someone as incredibly skinny as Sigourney Weaver ACTUAL MUFFIN TOP is just beyond me.

Why? is the question that closely follows.

Also? The bra. It is your friend. It gives you the comfort and support you need while fighting aliens that want to hatch their young in your chest.

Do Lucas and Scott have some sort of "no underwear in space" pact?

Exhibit B: Gillian Anderson as Scully in The X-Files Pilot

Really beautiful woman; hideous, baggy underwear.

Now, enlighten me, was this kind of thing actually kinky in the 90's? Did that off-white, baggy look maybe do it for some people?

I think if you're going to the effort of putting partial nudity in your pilot (the general intention of which, I was led to believe, is to convince a network to pick up your show), why on earth would you dress your actress in this, unless you hate her and/or never want your show to see the light of the post-watershed tv slot??


Of course, they did eventually get the underwear right, with much practice; Battlestar Galactica being a prime example of functional and non-terrifying undergarments.



What about you guys? Where do you think sci-fi has gotten underwear terrifically wrong/right??

3 comments:

  1. You are brilliant. This is an awesome post. :) BSG did do it right. I think Kara even had some hiphugger type underwear if I remember right.

    Hmmm, was there ever underwear in Star Trek TNG? I can't think of any... This is a fun thing to be thinking about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. alien is the best undies shot EVER. There really is nothing wrong with it. Hell if my entire crew was murdered and i was under the impression I just killed an alien well blowing up a multi-million dollar space cruiser....I'd walk around braless and in my cotton chonies too :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Gillian Anderson X-Files panty scene is one my all time favorite fantasies. I think both Gillian and her panties are incredibly sexy. There's just something about a woman in plain practical panties, especially when they fit a bit lose. Call me crazy but I've never been a fan of lacey fitted "sexy" panties. I guess I like the idea of just undressing a woman who is not ashamed to just be her everyday self and not trying to be sexy by wearing what society declares as sexy panties. To me the uglier the better as far as panties go lol

    ReplyDelete